Arlington Soccer Association seeks a Communications & Engagement Manager to create and launch the communications strategy of a comprehensive soccer club that serves more than 9,000 youth. This is a new, full-time position based in Arlington, VA that reports to the Executive Director. Arlington Soccer strives to create an environment that empowers youth and strengthens community.
Founded in 1970, Arlington Soccer Association offers a comprehensive curriculum of soccer programs. Arlington Soccer is a unique organization with dedicated coaches, staff and volunteers who work together to teach and develop players of all levels. The club provides opportunities for safe and healthy competition with a focus on treating people and the game with respect. Each year, more than 9,000 youth participate in Arlington Soccer programs, including:
- Recreation – With more than 6,000 players participating each fall and spring in league play, the recreation program is the largest in Arlington Soccer. The recreation program provides quality soccer experiences for boys and girls of any ability, from kindergarten through high school. The program consists of neighborhood clubs and places players on teams based on elementary school enrollment.
- Developmental – With more than 600 players, the Arlington Developmental Program is for U9 (under age 9), U10, U11 and U12 boys and girls. ADP provides youth with the opportunity to acquire and develop soccer skills through higher levels of competition and coaching expertise in a professional training environment.
- Travel – With 96 teams, the travel program provides the opportunity for more than 1,400 boys and girls ranging from U9 through U19 to participate in a competitive youth soccer environment that promotes excellence and sportsmanship. The travel program is player-focused and develops each player to his/her highest potential by focusing on three pillars of development: technical skills, club pride and love of the game. Arlington Soccer is a proud member of US Youth Soccer, Virginia Youth Soccer, ECNL, and NCSL.
- Additional Programs – Arlington Soccer provides a variety of other youth soccer programs that serve more than 1,000 children:
- Futures Program for ages 2-8.
- Camps and Clinics conducted throughout the year.
- The Real Madrid Program is in partnership with the Real Madrid Foundation and Arlington Public Schools and delivers after-school soccer and character-building.
- Girls with Goals is a no-cost, after-school program designed to encourage elementary-aged girls to try soccer, conducted in partnership with Arlington County Extended Day and 4-H.
- TOPSoccer is a community-based program for youth with disabilities.
- Drop-In Soccer is supervised pick-up soccer activities for all children staffed with Arlington Soccer coaches who help organize and supervise play.
- Tournaments – Arlington Soccer hosts a variety of tournaments including one of the region’s premier travel tournaments, the Arlington Spring Invitational Soccer Tournament.
The Communications & Engagement Manager will have primary responsibility to develop, lead and implement the club’s communications and engagement strategy. This position will be directly involved in the day-to-day communications, marketing, and engagement activities of the club, will be required to attend events, functions, and games, and will be an important part of the leadership team.
- Develop and implement an innovative communications strategy to generate visibility and brand/message awareness in support of Arlington Soccer’s goals.
- Serve as chief storyteller, telling the many stories of players, families, volunteers, alumni, coaches, and staff; this will require a substantial presence at Arlington Soccer events.
- Shape an overarching editorial calendar to drive strategic messaging through Arlington Soccer’s communications channels.
- Handle day-to-day execution of the website, social media, and club-wide communications.
- Work to enhance internal communications.
- Serve as main point of contact for media relations and crisis communications.
- Oversee the club’s visual brand standards and graphic design.
- Leverage staff and volunteer ambassadors, generate a pipeline of compelling content (videos, photos, stories) that reflects the breadth and diversity of the club’s programs.
- Develop processes and systems to integrate communications best practices across the organization.
- Uphold club-wide organizational policies for communications and social media.
- Assist with and support events and activities associated with the club.
- Work with fundraising leads, conceive and execute digital giving campaigns.
- Assist with corporate partnership activation.
- Assist with the development of the annual budget.
- Additional tasks or duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Attend events on a regular basis with flexibility to work from home.
Experience and Attributes
A strong candidate will bring a commitment to the core values and mission of Arlington Soccer. In search of a chief storyteller who will bring a variety of experiences and attributes including:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications, marketing, engagement or in a related field, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
- Outstanding storytelling, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Effective verbal communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Intimate knowledge of social media platforms, best practices and metrics.
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms and website content management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative and work with diverse constituencies.
- Experience supporting online fundraising and other development initiatives.
- Ability to think strategically, translate strategic initiatives into measurable annual plans, monitor progress toward goals and mitigate risk.
- Solid understanding of media relations and crisis communications.
- A demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Maturity, sound judgment and resourcefulness.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Success in working with a remote staff.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
- Flexibility and a willingness to work outside of normal business hours to include evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Graphic design and youth sports experience preferred but not required.
- With the flexibility to work from home, it is expected that a successful candidate will attend games, meetings and events in Arlington and reside in the DMV region.
To apply, email your resume, a cover letter that explains how your skills align with the requirements above, and a list of three references to: email@example.com (e-mail applications are required). Review of applicants to begin immediately.
Arlington Soccer Association is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.